Thursday, April 14, 2011

Footprints in the sand

I came across this poem when I was a young girl.    I thought then that when God carries me, that he will magically solve all my problems and all my cares will be gone.   Now that I have a family and daily challenges to cope, both at home and at work, I know realize how fortunate I am to have a Divine Hand to guide me, comfort me and hold me close to His Bosom.   Not that all my problems will disappear like magic, but it is comforting to know that there is someone helping me carry my burdens and cares.   Through the kindness and good deeds of loved ones, friends, and even strangers, we can feel His comforting and merciful Hand. 

One night I had a dream.


I dreamed I was walking along the beach


with the Lord.


Across the sky flashed scenes from my life..


For each scene, I noticed two sets of


footprints in the sand,


one belonging to me, and the other to the Lord..

When the last scene of my life flashed before me,


I looked back at the footprints in the sand.


I noticed that many times along the path of my life


there was only one set of footprints.


I also noticed that it happened at the very lowest


and saddest times in my life.


This really bothered me


and I questioned the Lord about it:


"Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you,


you'd walk with me all the way.


But I have noticed that during the most


troublesome times in my life


there is only one set of footprints.


I don't understand why


when I need you most you would leave me."


The Lord replied:


"My precious child, I love you and would


never leave you.


During your times of trial and suffering,


when you see only one set of footprints, it was then


that I carried you."



poem by Mary Stevenson


Picture credit:   Luke Tscharke

http://www.luketscharke.com/index.php?showimage=14

1 comment:

  1. I have read this many times and love it every time
    I read it :)

    ReplyDelete

I try my best to reciprocate comments and visits.
I allow anonymous comments if you have difficulty posting them. Thank you & have a good day!!!